SHIFT BREWER - JOB SPECIFICATION
Vocation Brewery began brewing in 2015, quickly gaining a reputation for modern hopped forward beers. From small beginnings it has grown rapidly to be one of the UK’s leading independent craft breweries. We currently employ 60 people in the Head Office and Brewery teams, and around 60 more in the growing portfolio of Vocation & Co venues.
We’ve found our Vocation in bringing better beer to more people, and we seek to empower others to find theirs - through personal and professional nurturing, and an ongoing commitment to progressive recruitment and employment practices. All employees and applicants to Vocation Brewery are treated equitably regardless of age, gender, marital or civil partnership status, colour, ethnic or national origin, culture, religious belief, philosophical belief, political opinion, disability, gender identity, gender expression or sexual orientation.
About the role
This role will be an integral part of the Brewing department at Vocation, they will be self-motivated and positive, ready to engage and contribute within a team of experienced brewers and managed by a Brewing Shift Manager who will ensure they have the right skills, behaviours, development and support, to deliver exceptional quality products.
As a Shift Brewer, there will be an expectation to ensure all safety and quality procedures are adhered to, whilst also ensuring that production plans are met on time in full.
This role will be expected to drive high performance within the department, looking at opportunities to improve within all aspects of their role.
This role will be expected to complete weekend and shift work. Weekend work will be planned in advance with Brewery Operations Manager.
Key skills and experience:
- A strong understanding of brewing and/ or a degree or certification in brewing science.
- Commercial brewing experience preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills (including good written & verbal communication skills).
- Ability to plan, organise and be a self-starter.
- Problem solving skills – A knowledge of Brewing Process and an ability to resolve issues when they occur.
- Practical skills (proficient within MS Word, Excel and MS Teams).
- Strong organisational skills.
- Drive Brewing Department KPI’s.
- Work closely with the Brewing Shift Manager to ensure brewery production is completed OTIF according to plan by reducing breakdowns and short stops.
- Wort production, from bulk malt handling through to fermentation.
- Managing and running brewhouse alongside Brewing Shift Manager and Shift Brewer.
- Yeast management.
- Monitoring of product throughout fermentation.
- All aspects of cellar work - including CIP of fermentation, bright beer tanks and packaging equipment, dry hopping and fining in process beer.
- Centrifuge operation.
- QA/QC duties, including sensory evaluation and lab work.
- General brewery cleaning.
- Raw materials monitoring, receiving and handling.
- Collaborate with Brewing Shift Manager and Quality Manager on any processes that may impact beer quality.
- Follow written SOP’s, accountable for SOP execution.
- Monitoring brewing and processing of batches to control quality, consistency, and efficiency.
- Monitoring, executing, and reporting daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly cleaning and maintenance tasks.
- Ensure and maintain the highest safety standards throughout production and brewery team.
- Communicate daily with Brewing Shift Manager on scheduled tasks, issues encountered, and priorities.
- Help drive a continuous improvement mentality across the department by using Lean engineering techniques such as 5S, Visual Management, Root Cause Failure Analysis etc.
- Be a department lead for hygiene and housekeeping, leading 5S projects and ensuring correct standards are upheld.
- Champion record keeping ensuring department is complaint and all reports are kept up to date.
- Zero lost time accidents within department by guaranteeing a safe working environment and compliance with regulations, in a culture embracing safe working habits and risk mitigation.
- This position is extremely physical and demanding in nature and involves working with potentially dangerous equipment, machinery, exposure to high noise levels, and handling of hazardous materials.
- Frequently climbs stairs/staircase.
- Use repetitive motions.
- Can work in both hot and cold temperatures.
Brewing Shift Managers
Brewery Operations Manager
Packaging Operations Team
Brewing Process Lead
To apply please send a CV and covering email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
NO RECRUITMENT COMPANIES!