Laboratory Technician - Job Specification
Vocation Brewery began brewing in 2015, quickly gaining a reputation for modern hop forward beers. From small beginnings it has grown rapidly to be one of the UK’s leading independent craft breweries. We currently employ 70 people in the Head Office and Brewery teams, and around 70 more in the growing portfolio of Vocation & Co venues.
We’ve found our Vocation in bringing better beer to more people, and we seek to empower others to find theirs - through personal and professional nurturing, and an ongoing commitment to progressive recruitment and employment practices. We’ve got there because of the passion and dedication of our people. After all, a brewery is just another factory making a product - it’s our people and their passion that makes this our Vocation.
We prize high performance, believe in fairness, equality and team work and we love what we do. You will work alongside our amazing employees, have fun and be a part of our family! If you love what you do, you’d love it here.
As an entry level position within the QA department, all training and development will be provided. You will have ideally just finished your degree with a focus on science and be looking to start your career in the brewing/food safety/quality industry.
The Laboratory Technician’s main responsibility is to conduct microbiological and chemical sampling and analysis according to sampling plan and to support sensory program. This role also has a strong involvement in yeast and fermentation management.
The Laboratory Technician is responsible for the calibration and maintenance of laboratory equipment to ensure our data and measurement relies on strong base.
As part of the Quality Team, this role also will be responsible for Quality Assurance analysis throughout the brewery and ensuring that QA policies and procedures are adhered to at all times. This position will be expected to communicate issues to appropriate managers and record, report QA data using various QA software packages.
Your skills and experience
- Degree in Brewing, Microbiology, Chemical engineering or similar field
- Strong attention to details and analytical skills to achieve continuous improvement
- Confident working independently and as part of a team
- Strong organisation skills with a structured and systematic approach
- Ability to follow instructions
- Ability to work on own initiative and prioritise workload effectively
- Good computer skills with MS software packages (Excel, Word, Outlook)
- Basic knowledge of Good Manufacturing Practices and Good Laboratory Practices
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Flexible, self-motivated and able to adapt to changing priorities
What we expect from you
- Undertake routine daily physical-chemical analysis of fermentation samples (gravity, pH, VDK, Haze, DO, CO2, VDK
- Conduct aseptic and environmental sampling throughout the brewery
- Prepare and analyse microbiological samples according to the sampling plan (raw materials, in-process samples, final products, environmental samples)
- Preparation of microbiological media, sterilization of laboratory equipment
- Document, report and monitor data efficiently
- Ensure Out Of Specifications are reported to management
- Calibrate and maintain laboratory equipment within the lab and the production
- Organising and maintaining beer library
- Support production team on QA/QC Checks on brewing and packing department when necessary (yeast counts, packaging QA Checks)
- Assist with sensory training and sensory program
- Take part in writing Quality SOPs/OPLs and train production staff on QA processes
- Maintain a clean, orderly, safe work environment (5S Standards)
- Involvement in laboratory purchasing and stock control
- Involvement in root cause analysis, process and quality improvements
- Promote safe working practices
Who you will work with
Packaging Shift Manager
Brewing Shift Manager
To apply please send a CV and covering email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
NO RECRUITMENT COMPANIES!