Engineering Packaging Shift Manager
ENGINEERING PACKAGING SHIFT MANAGER - JOB SPECIFICATION
Vocation Brewery began brewing in 2015, quickly gaining a reputation for modern hopped forward beers. From small beginnings it has grown rapidly to be one of the UK’s leading independent craft breweries. We currently employ 60 people in the Head Office and Brewery teams, and around 60 more in the growing portfolio of Vocation & Co venues.
We’ve found our Vocation in bringing better beer to more people, and we seek to empower others to find theirs - through personal and professional nurturing, and an ongoing commitment to progressive recruitment and employment practices. All employees and applicants to Vocation Brewery are treated equitably regardless of age, gender, marital or civil partnership status, colour, ethnic or national origin, culture, religious belief, philosophical belief, political opinion, disability, gender identity, gender expression or sexual orientation.
About the role
This role will play a pivotal part within the Packaging department at Vocation Brewery, they will be self-motivated and positive, ready to engage and lead a team of Packaging Operators, ensuring they have the right skills, behaviours, development and support, to deliver exceptional operational results.
As a multi-skilled engineer you will have the right qualifications required for this role, either a recognised Engineering Apprenticeship, ONC/HNC or equivalent qualification/ degree within engineering. The Engineering Shift Manager will direct the Packaging team to minimise downtime and ensure uptime and availability of the assets within the packaging department during their shift. Through technical leadership and a commitment to service quality, the Engineering Shift Manager will support the operation by utilising a broad range of skills and will take a proactive approach to improving performance and reliability.
As a people manager, there will be an expectation to lead the packaging team to ensure all safety and quality procedures are adhered to, whilst also ensuring that production plans are met on time in full.
This role will be expected to drive high performance within the department, looking at opportunities to improve by creating effective performance management and development plans for your team.
This role will be expected to complete shift work between 6am-2pm & 2pm-10pm between Monday- Friday.
Key skills and experience:
- Recognised Engineering Apprenticeship, ONC/HNC or equivalent qualification in engineering.
- Previous experience of mechanical and electrical maintenance within a processing or manufacturing environment.
- A strong understanding of manufacturing packaging lines and practices.
- Proven competence in H&S.
- 2 to 3 years’ experience within similar manufacturing environments.
- An ability to lead and plan for shift activities for your team.
- Able to create an environment that drives high performance through effective performance management and development planning.
- Strong interpersonal skills (including good written & verbal communication skills).
- Problem solving skills – A knowledge of packaging lines and ability to resolve issues when they occur.
- Practical skills (proficient within MS Word, Excel and MS Teams).
- Strong organisational skills and the ability to manage a large team.
- Drive packaging departments KPI’s.
- Ensure production is completed OTIF according to plan by reducing breakdowns and short stops.
- Carry out fault-finding and diagnosis of mechanical and/or electrical faults.
- Actively work to optimise the automation performance within packaging department.
- Fix and solve any issues that occur on packaging machinery.
- Audit the equipment and works undertaken on the equipment by the team to ensure compliance and highest standards are achieved.
- Create a planned maintenance plan for packaging department.
- Operate and understand all equipment/ machinery within Packaging Department and have the ability to train your team.
- Support Packaging Operators by ensuring they are fully trained and signed off against current SOP’s.
- Manage Packaging teams holiday cover, sickness cover and return to works.
- Help drive a continuous improvement mentality across their shift by using Lean engineering techniques such as 5S, Visual Management, Bottleneck Analysis etc.
- Be a leader for hygiene and housekeeping standards by leading 5S projects and ensuring correct standards are upheld.
- Champion record keeping ensuring shift is complaint and all reports are kept up to date.
- Zero lost time accidents within department by guaranteeing a safe working environment and compliance with regulations, in a culture embracing safe working habits and risk mitigation.
Packaging Process Lead
Brewery Operations Manager
Packaging Operations Team
Packaging Process Technicians
Brewery Process Technicians
Brewery Shift Managers
To apply please send a CV and covering email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
NO RECRUITMENT COMPANIES!